Top-Rated Spots for Enjoying DC While Social Distancing
Due to the recent surge of the COVID-19 Omicron variant, the mayor of DC extended the COVID-19 Public Emergency through March 17, 2022. Because of the rise in cases, DC residents are being encouraged to take precautions, such as getting vaccinated, wearing masks, and social distancing.
Below, we’ll briefly discuss some of the best outdoor spots in Washington, DC to enjoy while social distancing.
Omicron and the Need for Social Distancing
According to Centers for Disease Control (CDC), the Omicron variant of COVID-19 was detected in most states by December 20, 2021. The CDC has stated that Omicron is more transmissible than the original strain of COVID-19, though it is still not known if it is more transmissible than the previous Delta variant.
Because the Omicron variant is so contagious (the United States is currently experiencing the highest level of cases ever) and may more easily evade COVID-19 vaccines, medical experts have encouraged people to limit their contact with individuals outside their household.
To that end, here are some safe outdoor spots to visit during the Omicron surge.
Outdoor/Social Distance Spots to Enjoy in Washington DC
Enjoying DC while socially distancing is easier than you might think! Here are some of our favorite spots to visit while avoiding close contact with others:
- The National Mall – Many of the most iconic spots in DC dot the National Mall, including the Reflection Pool and outdoor monuments such as the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, the Veterans Memorial, the National World War II Memorial, the Jefferson Memorial, and the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. Other nearby spots to check out include the Constitution Gardens and the Pennsylvania Avenue National Historic Site.
- Rock Creek Park – Rock Creek Park is a 1,754-acre urban park in northwest Washington, D.C. Inside the park, you can find sprawling green spaces, Civil War fortifications, colonial-era homes, mills, and other historical sites. Avid hikers will love Rock Creek Park’s 32+ miles of paths and hiking trails.
- National Arboretum – The U.S. National Arboretum was originally established by Congress in 1927. Located in Northeast Washington, DC, along New York Avenue, the National Arboretum boasts 446 acres of gorgeous outdoor space and nearly ten miles of roadways. The Arboretum contains many attractions, including gardens and exhibits. The Arboretum is always filled with beautiful landscapes and ornamental plants no matter what time of year you visit. The Arboretum is also home to the National Capitol Columns. These 22 Corinthian columns initially supported a section of the original U.S. Capitol when it was first constructed in 1828. The columns are permanently installed in the Ellipse Meadow at the Arboretum.
- National Art Gallery Sculpture Garden – The National Art Gallery Sculpture Garden is an exceptional place to enjoy contemporary sculpture art in an outdoor setting. The sculpture garden is the newest addition to the National Gallery of Art, and was initially established in 1999. These 6.1-acre gardens are also an excellent spot to catch some live jazz music in the summer months.
- Tidal Basin – The Tidal Basin is a man-made reservoir that is situated between the Washington Channel and the Potomac River. It is most famously associated with the annual Cherry Blossom Festival. The 2022 Cherry Blossom Festival will take place from March 20 to April 17. Events will include the Opening Ceremony, Kite Festival, PetalPalooza, and the annual parade. The Tidal Basin is also a great place to enjoy paddle boating with friends from the spring until the fall.
- Mount Vernon – Mount Vernon is the former home of the first President of the United States, George Washington. Mount Vernon is situated on the banks of the Potomac River in Virginia, about 15 miles south of Washington DC. In addition to the mansion itself, the grounds also contain vast gardens, historic buildings, tombs, and a wharf.
Thankfully, many DC locations have adapted to the ongoing global pandemic, making it possible to still safely enjoy many of the city’s historic outdoor spaces.
Where Is it Legal to Consume Cannabis in DC?
Marijuana has been decriminalized in the District of Columbia. Even though possession of marijuana is still considered a federal offense, thanks to Initiative-71, you can legally obtain cannabis in DC. As long as you are at least 21 years of age, you can:
- Possess a maximum of two ounces of cannabis.
- Possess paraphernalia for using cannabis products, as long as the product isn’t barred by law.
- Grow up to six marijuana plants in your home, as long as no more than three of those plants are mature.
- Use cannabis in your home or on private property.
In Washington, DC, it is still against the law to:
- Possess more than two ounces of cannabis.
- Use marijuana in public spaces.
- Sell or buy marijuana, no matter the amount.
- Get behind the wheel or a car or boat after consuming cannabis.
- Possess cannabis under the age of 21, no matter the amount.
- Possess marijuana on federal property, including the National Mall.
If you are over the age of 21, you can also legally transfer cannabis from one person to another, as long as no money, goods, or services are exchanged for the cannabis product. To get around this, many DC companies “gift” cannabis products as a marketing incentive to paying customers, just like a department store might gift free cologne or perfume samples to a customer.
About Fast Slice
Fast Slice is a digital art company that gifts I-71 compliant cannabis products to our customers. Our company is driven by a passion for culinary and visual arts.
In late 2019, just before the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, our three founders sat down to brainstorm. That’s when we created the concept that would become Fast Slice: connecting people with curated, culinary-inspired art and offering legal cannabis gifts to our customers.
You can check out our collection of art and images, as well as our pricing, at our online art gallery. When you’re ready to place your first order, schedule an appointment with us and get verified! We look forward to hearing from you!